Sunday, March 4, 2012

sprouty sunday.....

For those of you who know me, you know just how much Owen and
 I love Kale Chips (click here for easy recipe)
**sometimes I cook mine longer depending on how crispy I want them, also I switch up my spice flavors, crushed red pepper, garlic salt, chili pepper etc..


 So I was super excited when my sister sent me this recipe for Brussels Sprout Chips, I am always trying to find new green to add to our weekly meals and I never actually knew what to do with
  brussels sprouts. 
Brussels Sprouts Chips
5.0 from 1 reviews
Print

Like kale chips? You’ll love these!
Ingredients
  • 10 brussels sprouts
  • 1 tsp. olive oil (or Misto olive oil sprayer)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. To remove outer leaves of brussels sprouts, use a sharp knife to trim off the very bottom. Outer leaves should fall off easily. Once outer leaves are removed, trim the bottom again, removing more leaves. Continue removing leaves until they become difficult to peel off. Save the center of each brussels sprout for another recipe.
  3. Toss leaves with olive oil and salt. Spread out in a single layer on baking sheets lined with foil or parchment paper.
  4. Roast for 10 minutes, then check leaves. Remove any that are crisp. Place baking sheet back in the oven and check every few minutes until all leaves are crisp. A little browning on the edge of the leaves is fine, but don’t let the entire leaf turn brown or it will become bitter.
  5. Serve immediately.

But the thing I loved even more then learning about a new green chip is discovering
 the freaking MISTO Olive Oil Sprayer.  I was always feeling guilty about spraying our food with PAM olive oil, because I don't really know what kind of aerosol or weird things might be added, or I am always getting annoyed because I end up pouring to much olive oil into my pan. As good and healthy as oils are, they are also loaded with fats and calories so you want to be careful.   
The Misto Oil Sprayer is truly the answer to my problem.... 
I immediately searched the web for the cheapest one I could find and also the quickest way I could get it, and of course it was amazon!  here is a link to it if you are interested- MISTO Oil Sprayer

 
Awesome once you know the tricksJanuary 3, 2005
By 
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Misto Gourmet Olive Oil Sprayer, Brushed Aluminum (Kitchen)
Works great, especially with olive oil, but there are a couple of tricks to getting the most out of it. First, fill it only half way. Second, if you twist the top after each use to release the pressure you can avoid clogging problems. My first one lasted only a year or so because I had not learned that 'releasing the pressure' trick and the nozzle got irreparably clogged. Even hot soapy water didn't fix the problem. A chef friend of mine told me how to avoid the trouble. Since then, the replacement has been going strong for over two years now. Nice even spray with no clogging. Great gadget. I use it all the time!
Happy Spraying

4 comments:

  1. Yay! We luv chips and now healthy versions... This is why I luv this blog. Thank u

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved the Brussels Sprouts chips: glad to share the recipe with you:-) I didn't even read about the Misto Spray, I just used Olive Oil, and of course I used way to much.. I am going to order the spray now! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i so love love brussel sprouts-even just with olive oil salt and pepper in the oven, but I can't wait to try these (well, when i have a kitchen) thanks boog and wes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to make these! Thanks Blair.

    ReplyDelete