Monday, April 16, 2012

protein ball....

My sisters lovely friend Bree sent her this recipe the other day and I am completely obsessed. It is the perfect afternoon snack or after a weights workout snack. I am a big fan in consuming protein after doing any sort of weighted workout. I once had it broken down to me like this... Imagine your body is a brick wall, during the process of lifting weights a few bricks pop out from all the hard work, then if you don't put those bricks (protein)  back in how can you expect your wall to be as strong or efficient for the rest of the day.... I know kind of cheesy but sometimes I need to be able to visualize something like that in order for me to wrap my head around have a high calorie protein snack when I'm not hungry after a workout.
Anyway back to the balls, I also love this recipe because its much cheaper then my think thin bars.

Protein Balls


These cookies are a great source of complete protein that contain all the essential amino acids needed for repair and for a healthy immune system, also a good source of vitamin E and minerals from the almonds and fresh dates.  The  cinnamon adds a lovely flavour and also helps stablilze blood sugar levels.  If you can’t have nuts, I would grind up some lovely sunflower, pumpkin and linseeds then throw them in the mix in place of the almonds.  
330 g raw whole almonds
1 scoop of  protein powder
16 fresh dates, pitted
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon natural vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground  cinnamon
coconut for rolling
Throw almonds into the food processor with cinnamon, protein powder and cocoa then process until the mix looks crumbly.
Add dates, vanilla extract then process again until the mix starts to come together.
Add a splash of water if you need to so that mixture is soft and forms a soft ball.
Form into 14 decent sized balls.
Roll in coconut and store in the fridge until you feel like a snack or quick meal on the run.
Store in the fridge for upto 4 weeks if they last that long.
Nutrition per cookie: makes 14 total
Protein: 8.2g 
Carbs: 7.6g
Fat: 12g
Calories: 168


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to make these today! Bree says they are the best pick me up at 3pm, healthy tasty and filling:-)

    ReplyDelete